replacing mftrace with mf2pt1

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: replacing mftrace with mf2pt1
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2007 15:11:03 +0100 (CET)

Folks,

months ago I've finished my intense work on fixing the output of
metafont/metapost so that it can be reliably converted by mf2pt1 into
outlines (using fontforge as a backend which adds hints and removes
overlapping contours, among other things).

What's still missing is the integration into lilypond itself, this is,
replacing the mftrace stuff with proper calls to mf2pt1.  Can someone
help, please, who is familiar with the lilypond's make structure?

The following has to be done:

  . As a preliminary step, install mf2pt1 2.4.2 (mf2pt1 it is
    available from TexLive too, but it isn't installed).  This
    basically means putting `mf2pt1.pl' into the path and `mf2pt1.mp'
    into a MetaPost directory.  Then say

      mpost -progname=mpost -ini mf2pt1 \\dump

    and move the resulting `mf2pt1.mem' file to a place where MetaPost
    can find it.

    Note that it also works with older (but not too old) versions of
    mf2pt1.

      ftp://ftp.dante.de/pub/tex/support/mf2pt1

  . Say

      mf2pt1 --rounding=0.001 <font>

    instead of calling mftrace.

That's it, I think.