Re: Help with git

From: Johannes Schindelin
Subject: Re: Help with git
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 19:03:15 +0100 (CET)

Hi,

On Mon, 7 Jan 2008, Till Rettig wrote:

> I realized that I did some commits to my local copy of master, but I
> don't get the remote revisions to make a patch out of it.
>
> That is how I pull:
> git pull git://git.sv.gnu.org/lilypond.git

Usually, this means that you automatically merge the remote's "master".

> Obviously I forgot to name my local branch (?)

More like the remote branch: a pull will always be into your current
branch.

> -- when I call git
> show-branch, it says: [master] Merge git://git.sv.gnu.org/lilypond
>
> How can I refer to the remote branch? If I say: git rev-parse
> git://git.sv.gnu.org/lilypond.git
> I get only the message that the revision is unknown, the same for
> format-patch...

If you started with a new-enough git (>=1.5 should be sufficient), then
you will have a local copy of the remote branches under "origin/master",
"origin/hwn", etc.

Try "git branch -r" to find out (the -r stands for "remote").

Of course, this will only be the last version you
updated to, the _real_ remote branch can be advanced.

But then, you really only need to call format-patch with that branch,
since you forked from there:

        git format-patch origin/master

Hth,
Dscho