Re: Help with git

From: Till Rettig
Subject: Re: Help with git
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2008 21:07:58 +0200

Johannes Schindelin schrieb:
Hi,

On Mon, 7 Jan 2008, Till Rettig wrote:

Obviously I forgot to name my local branch (?)

More like the remote branch: a pull will always be into your current
branch.

-- when I call git
show-branch, it says: [master] Merge git://git.sv.gnu.org/lilypond

How can I refer to the remote branch? If I say: git rev-parse
git://git.sv.gnu.org/lilypond.git
I get only the message that the revision is unknown, the same for
format-patch...

If you started with a new-enough git (>=1.5 should be sufficient), then
you will have a local copy of the remote branches under "origin/master",
"origin/hwn", etc.

Try "git branch -r" to find out (the -r stands for "remote").

Of course, this will only be the last version you
updated to, the _real_ remote branch can be advanced.

But then, you really only need to call format-patch with that branch,
since you forked from there:

	git format-patch origin/master

Thanks, I found these remote branches. But there is something I don't really understand: I tried the
commands for rebasing on origin, but actually wanted only to reset to the remote branch, so that
only my changes would make the difference. But now with reset I get only to something located in
last November and a huge list of files to be updated, of course there are my own changes now just mingled
with all the others.
I have the sad experience that you cannot repair a git repository once you did a wrong command. I guess
I will once again start everything from the beginning.
[...] Did now a clone and applied my changes from another directory, now I seem to get clean patches. Cannot
really say what I did wrong the first time.
But one thing would interest me: How can I change branches now that I am on master? I tried it using the
-b option and the origin/lilypond/translation-path, but it seems it just creates a local branch and doesn't switch
to the remote branch.

Thanks
Till
Hth,