Re: Help with git

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Help with git
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2008 20:31:02 +0100

Till Rettig <address@hidden> writes:

> Thanks, I found these remote branches. But there is something I don't
> really understand: I tried the commands for rebasing on origin, but
> actually wanted only to reset to the remote branch, so that only my
> changes would make the difference.  But now with reset I get only to
> something located in last November and a huge list of files to be
> updated, of course there are my own changes now just mingled with all
> the others.

Sigh.  PLEASE focus.  You can't just exchange one word with another and
expect the effect to be the same.  "rebase" and "reset" are utterly
different commands.

> I have the sad experience that you cannot repair a git repository once
> you did a wrong command.

Nonsense.  Try

  git reflog

You can reset your repository to any state listed there (which defaults
to the last three months).

> I guess I will once again start everything from the beginning.  [...]
> Did now a clone and applied my changes from another directory, now I
> seem to get clean patches. Cannot really say what I did wrong the
> first time.  But one thing would interest me: How can I change
> branches now that I am on master? I tried it using the -b option and
> the origin/lilypond/translation-path, but it seems it just creates a
> local branch and doesn't switch to the remote branch.

Sigh.  How about reading the user manual?  You change to a different
branch by using the checkout command.