Re: Suggestion: \breathe should include a \noBeam default option

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Suggestion: \breathe should include a \noBeam default option
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2008 12:56:41 +0100

Valentin Villenave wrote:
Hi everybody,

Damien, a French user, has posted the following suggestion on the -fr
list; I forward it here because he seems to have a good point.

"I never beam two eighth notes if they're separated with a \breathe
sign; however, as LilyPond currently ignores it, I often have to
manually remove the beam. It's not complicated to achieve, and can
even be automated, but maybe this could be implemented by default?"

If I can add my own suggestion on the implementation, perhaps this
behavior could be turned off using something such as

\set alwaysBeamedBreath = ##t
Changing the default behaviour to always include the equivalent of \noBeam
is very easy, just add a line to the definition of \breathe in ly/music-functions-init.ly Making it customizable with a context property setting is slightly more advanced
but can still be done in Scheme.
However, it seems simple to do (no syntax changes, no convert rule to
write),
Since this will lead to an incompatible change of the default layout, I would
propose to let convert-ly write out a warning about this change, if \breathe
is used in the file.
and I have to say it looks like the default engraving rule in
printed scores.
  /Mats