updating snippets in git

From: Graham Percival
Subject: updating snippets in git
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2008 12:14:33 -0700

Hi Valentin,

I'm happy to hear that you have a Linux machine again.  Here's the
details for updating snippets:

1. Download the -docs tarball, uncompress it.

2. Go to the "editorial..." directory and delete the ";" from the
names in the "grid-lines" snippets.
  simply remove the ";", do not replace it with a different char.
I've requested that Sebastiano add this to the list of chars to
not allow in snippet filenames.

3. Run makelsr.

4. Check the changes in unsafe snippets CAREFULLY.

5. Go to input/lsr/ and run "make web" (with external_binary if
you're doing it that way).  There's two reasons for this:
  A) sometimes snippets don't get updated correctly.  If that
happens, copy the snippet from input/lsr/ to input/new/ and update
it manually, then run makelsr again.
  B) if somebody sneaks a #(system-call "rm -rf /") into an unsafe
snippet and you don't notice it in step #4, this will destroy your
personal data and not mine or Han-Wen's.  IMNSHO, this is a very
good thing.  ;P

6. Go to Documentation/user/ and run "make web" (or the
instructions in advanced-tech.txt).  If there's any snippets not
found, edit the .itely file in question to point to the
newly-renamed snippet.

7. Upload the changes.

The snippet tarball is updated once a day.  Feel free to run
makelsr anywhere from each day to once a week.