Re: GDP: new Text documentation

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: GDP: new Text documentation
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 13:14:03 +0200

John Mandereau wrote:
Valentin Villenave wrote:
OK. Graham, I did implement something that could be useful -- or not.
It's not very elegant, but at least it doesn't break anything.

Here's a patch, in case you'd like to check it out:
http://valentin.villenave.info/lilypond/new_markup_docs.patch

Here's what it looks like (look at the appendix):
http://valentin.villenave.info/lilypond/Documentation/user/lilypond/index.html

I didn't look at the Scheme code, but the result rocks!  Ah, this will
save a lot of time of all LilyPonders looking for \markup commands.
I'm not fully convinced that I agree, especially if we talk about the on-line version of the manual, since you now will have to figure out which of all the different HTML pages you should look at. Of course, my complaints boil down to my old favourite complaint that the information shouldn't be split into too many HTML pages and I know that it's on Graham's TODO list and that he doesn't want this issue raised again. Anyway, if you do this kind of split, it's very important to find descriptive and accurate names for each subsection. Obviously, only one of "Global markup commands" and "Common markup commands" should remain in the final version and I would try to find something more to the point than "Common". Why isn't \column a common markup
command, for example? It's one of those that i use commonly.

   /Mats