Re: Transposable guitar fret diagrams

From: Johannes Schindelin
Subject: Re: Transposable guitar fret diagrams
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 13:21:39 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

On Wed, 30 Jul 2008, Carl D. Sorensen wrote:

> I'd like to show a diff, but I'm not sure exactly how to get it.
>
> I have done the development work in a fretboards branch on my local machine.
> I have a current git repository in a master branch on my local machine.
> I have a remote repository origin which tracks the savannah git repo.

Just a quick remark: when you talk about "git repository", you mean an
"upstream" in Git terminology.  The repository is the whole thing.

I think you do not need to merge with origin first, as I do not expect
other people to have touched the same files as you have too terribly much.

Just call

$ git log master..fretboards

to see the commits you made.  If you are not happy with what you see, you
might want to use an interactive rebase ("git rebase -i master") that
shows you these commits as lines in an editor, lets you choose which ones
you want to have, in which order, and then applies them _on top of
master_.

Then you can call "git log master..fretboards" again, just to make sure
that it now looks as you want it.  For good measure, throw in a "-p" to
see the diffs interspersed.

For review, it is best if you use the tool format-path:

$ git format-patch -n master..fretboards

The -n says that the patches should be numbered, so they are reviewed
and/or applied in the correct order.

This command will generate a bunch of files named 0001-<first-oneline>,
0002-<second-oneline>...

On the Git list, we then send them off one by one.

Some people use git-send-email, but I personally distrust that tool, so I
make sure that my mailer does not corrupt whitespace (that depends from
mailer to mailer) and then paste the file into the mailer.  Before
sending, I move the "Subject: " line into the mail subject (stripping
"Subject:") and removing the other headers, such as "From: ", "Date: "...

Hth,
Dscho