Re: Transposable guitar fret diagrams

From: Carl D. Sorensen
Subject: Re: Transposable guitar fret diagrams
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 08:08:37 -0600

On 7/31/08 5:21 AM, "Johannes Schindelin" <address@hidden>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Wed, 30 Jul 2008, Carl D. Sorensen wrote:
>
>> I'd like to show a diff, but I'm not sure exactly how to get it.
>>
>> I have done the development work in a fretboards branch on my local machine.
>> I have a current git repository in a master branch on my local machine.
>> I have a remote repository origin which tracks the savannah git repo.
>
> Just a quick remark: when you talk about "git repository", you mean an
> "upstream" in Git terminology.  The repository is the whole thing.

So, to get my terminology straight, let me see if I reword this properly.

I have a local git repository, which has two branches: master and
fretboards.

master is an upstream of fretboards.

master is tracking savannah.

Is this right?

> I think you do not need to merge with origin first, as I do not expect
> other people to have touched the same files as you have too terribly much.
>
> Just call
>
> $ git log master..fretboards
>
> to see the commits you made.  If you are not happy with what you see, you
> might want to use an interactive rebase ("git rebase -i master") that
> shows you these commits as lines in an editor, lets you choose which ones
> you want to have, in which order, and then applies them _on top of
> master_.

"git rebase -i master" is my friend!  I could play and play with it until
I got it the way I wanted it.  Thanks for the suggestion!

One suggestion for anyone who might follow up on this thread -- when you
do "git rebase -i master" and want to compress all your previous commits
into a single merged commit, use "pick" for the first commit and "squash"
for all of the rest.  If you use "squash" for all of the commits, git
doesn't like it!

> Then you can call "git log master..fretboards" again, just to make sure
> that it now looks as you want it.  For good measure, throw in a "-p" to
> see the diffs interspersed.
>
> For review, it is best if you use the tool format-path:
>
> $ git format-patch -n master..fretboards

git format-patch works like a charm. Thanks.

> The -n says that the patches should be numbered, so they are reviewed
> and/or applied in the correct order.
>
> This command will generate a bunch of files named 0001-<first-oneline>,
> 0002-<second-oneline>...
>
> On the Git list, we then send them off one by one.
>
> Some people use git-send-email, but I personally distrust that tool, so I
> make sure that my mailer does not corrupt whitespace (that depends from
> mailer to mailer) and then paste the file into the mailer.  Before
> sending, I move the "Subject: " line into the mail subject (stripping
> "Subject:") and removing the other headers, such as "From: ", "Date: "...

For now, I'll just attach the file from git format-patch....

> Hth,
> Dscho

Thanks, you're a lifesaver!

Carl