Re: a couple of bugs with lyrics

From: Neil Puttock
Subject: Re: a couple of bugs with lyrics
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2008 13:33:37 +0100

Hi Werner,

2008/9/2 Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden>:

>  1. I'm replacing hara-kiri with axis-group; however, whatever I do,
>     there is no (empty) lyrics line in the first system.

This appears to be the same issue affecting the piano centred dynamics
template when there's a system with no dynamics.

If I understand what's going on in align-interface.cc, the
minimum-Y-extent is only added to this VerticalAxisGroup's skyline
pair if it has an X-extent. Obviously, in the case of the first
system, there are no lyrics, so it has no X-extent. Setting
minimum-X-extent to a value greater than '(0 . 0) gets around this
problem.

>  2. I have to set the `remove-empty' flag explicitly to #f, which I
>     consider wrong behaviour.  If I add an engraver I expect that all
>     of its variables are set to the default, this is, I get a `fresh'
>     engraver.

But it's not an engraver property; it's a grob property. I agree it
shouldn't be affecting the Lyrics context if you've removed hara-kiri,
but the setting is left over from engraver-init.ly as part of the
initialization of Lyrics.

>  3. The default values of the `remove-empty' and `remove-first' flags
>     are not documented in lilypond-internals.

The defaults are `not-set', which is equivalent to #f since both
properties are read using to_boolean ().

Regards,
Neil