Re: a couple of bugs with lyrics

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: a couple of bugs with lyrics
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2008 20:56:50 +0200 (CEST)

> > 1. I'm replacing hara-kiri with axis-group; however, whatever I
> >    do, there is no (empty) lyrics line in the first system.
>
> This appears to be the same issue affecting the piano centred
> dynamics template when there's a system with no dynamics.

Ok.  Is this classified as a bug or as a feature?  IMHO, it's rather
the former...

> Obviously, in the case of the first system, there are no lyrics, so
> it has no X-extent. Setting minimum-X-extent to a value greater than
> '(0 . 0) gets around this problem.

I don't know how easy this is to fix; otherwise, it should probably be
documented.

> > 2. I have to set the `remove-empty' flag explicitly to #f, which I
> >    consider wrong behaviour.  If I add an engraver I expect that
> >    all of its variables are set to the default, this is, I get a
> >    `fresh' engraver.
>
> But it's not an engraver property; it's a grob property. I agree it
> shouldn't be affecting the Lyrics context if you've removed
> hara-kiri, but the setting is left over from engraver-init.ly as
> part of the initialization of Lyrics.

Hmm.  Perhaps there should be hooks for \consists and/or \remove to
allow resetting of such properties.

> > 3. The default values of the `remove-empty' and `remove-first'
> >    flags are not documented in lilypond-internals.
>
> The defaults are `not-set', which is equivalent to #f since both
> properties are read using to_boolean ().

OK.  This was actually a misinterpretation of mine while reading the
internal documentation: Only grobs have default values; both
interfaces and engravers haven't (and neither `remove-empty' nor
`remove-first' is listed in the grob section).

    Werner