Re: MacOS python/GUI issues

From: Carl D. Sorensen
Subject: Re: MacOS python/GUI issues
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 21:57:45 -0600

On 10/20/08 9:03 PM, "Graham Percival" <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 08:39:12PM -0600, Carl D. Sorensen wrote:
>>
>> This unpacked setuptools properly, and the system seemed to run just fine,
>> until I got to this line in setup.py
>>
>>                 '/sw/lib/python2.4/subprocess.py',
>>
>> There is no /sw directory.
>
> /sw is the default directory for fink.  I guess these instructions
> assumed that you install python2.4 via fink.
>
> I don't know how this might help, but at least you know what the
> dir is about.  :)

Thanks.  I use MacPorts, rather than Fink.

Your tip got me looking farther around my hard drive, and I found
subprocess.py.  I don't know why I couldn't find it using the find command
or the Finder searchbox.  But I have found it, and I got a successful
completion of py2app.

The .app that was built was called LilyPond.app, not LilyPad.app.

I did

cd dist

and then

open LilyPond.app

I got an error window:

LilyPond Error
An unexpected error has occurred during execution of the main script

ImportError:  No module named PyObjCTools

I hunted up PyObjCTools on Google, and found that it's supposed to be
included in the OS distribution.  I guess it is, but the OS distribution
includes Python 2.3, and this needs 2.4 or newer, so I went to 2.5.

In hunting around for PyObjCTools, I found that PyObjCTools 2.0 is used for
MacOS 10.5, while version 1.4 is used for 10.3.9 and 10.4.

I'm not sure how to install PyObjCTools on my system; it doesn't work with
easy_setup, and I'm not familiar with doing the python installation.

Any help would be appreciated.