Re: Sponsoring a full support for footnotes in Lilypond

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: Sponsoring a full support for footnotes in Lilypond
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2009 13:35:25 -0800

I stopped doing sponsored work on LilyPond.  I'm forwarding your
message to the lilypond-devel forum.  Maybe you can someone there can
help you.

**

Dear Sir,
I would like to start negotiating with you about me sponsoring the
feature in Lilypond which would add the full support of footnotes,
i.e. markup which would at certain place make a sign (a number, for
example) and at the footer (alternatively in the margin of the page)
of the page there would be the sentence of small paragraph with the
text of the footnote. The numbers/symbols to use should be
customizable to certain extent - for example numbering each page
separately, or numbering each piece separately, or numbering whole
book in a series.
The Lilypond should automatically keep the footnotes on the same
page where they occur and automatically calculate the space needed
in the footer for the footenote text to occupy.

This function is called for by many users already for several years
as I read in the lilypond forum, and I think it is still not there.
For musicologists this is the main feature - I am now setting up
means in Lilypond for my work which should span over 3 years,
editing about 800 pages of mediaeval Czech chant - the critical
edition - and footnote would be very requirement for this work to be
easy.

So, please, if you are willing to do this, please estimate the
expenses and perhaps I will pay it myself, or alternatively I will
try to find more people supporting the feature with the help of your
internet webpage - as you state on your internet pages.

Sincerely,
Jiri Zurek