Re: links in LSR snippets

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: links in LSR snippets
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2009 17:31:43 +0800

On Sun, Feb 15, 2009 at 08:46:50AM +0100, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

> LSR files sometimes refer to the manual.  Example:

I almost consider this a bug, especially if they reference the LM.

> Such references to absolute section numbers are error-prone;
> additionally, there is no proper hyperlink.  Any idea how to do
> better?

Well, we *could* add a special "html" command for these in LSR.
They would do nothing in the main LSR view, but when we run
makelsr.py, we could change the new "html" command into @ref{}.
Depending on how the build process works, these might be able to
link back to the proper location.

However, I really cannot see this being worth the (relatively
speaking) enormous effort to modify LSR, modify makelsr.py,
possibly modify the build process, and test the entire thing.  I
think we're looking at 20 hours of work to support something that
perhaps a dozen badly-worded snippets use.

To anticipate a possible objection: the snippets are not designed
to teach lilypond basics.  If something is covered in the LM or
NR, it shouldn't be in a snippet.  At least, not in the "docs"
snippets.  Otherwise you're just reinventing the wheel.  If the
original material in the NR is hard to find, we should improve
that aspect of the NR.