Re: CM 1.1 git question

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: CM 1.1 git question
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 23:19:44 +0800

On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 06:36:24PM -0700, Andrew Hawryluk wrote:
> In the instructions for getting the source code, why not just use
> git-clone? Is there a difference? The currently suggested method of
> remote-add + checkout produces a bunch of warnings (below).

1.  git-clone gets the entire repo, not just the particular
branch that you want.
2.  We don't want newbies switching between branches, because
(speaking from experience) that wastes 1-5 hours of frustrating
time-wasting when you're just trying to work on lilypond.
3.  I'm not certain if git-clone setups up everything for doing
"git pull origin" and "git push origin".

That said, I cheerfully admit that I know very little about git.
My understanding is that the warning messages are harmless and
produce the end result that we want, but if anybody has any
improvements, I'm all for them...