Re: CM 1.1 git question

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: CM 1.1 git question
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 23:04:59 +0800

On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 03:57:39PM +0100, Johannes Schindelin wrote:
> Hi.
>
> On Wed, 18 Feb 2009, Jonathan Kulp wrote:
>
> >  Am I correct in thinking that [git format-patch] creates the patch by
> > comparing my local (changed) file with the corresponding file in the
> > remote git repository?
>
> No, it creates patches from commits.  So you use Git as usual:
>
>       (inspect your changes)
>       $ git diff
>       (stage the modified files)
>       $ git add <files>
>       (commit the stuff)
>       $ git commit
>       (now generate patches from, say, the last 3 commits)
>       $ git format-patch -3
>
> From the rest of your mail I see that you made work hard on yourself by
> not using Git at all...

Yes, definitely.  I must admit that I think I forgot to explain
these steps in the CG.  Could somebody take a look at it
(Documentation/devel/starting-git.itexi or git-starting.itexi) and
add the "git add / git commit" commands?

And was there a way to get "git format-patch" to produce
individual patches for every commit made since the last pull?  I'd
rather not have new committers trying to remember how many commits
they made, although I suppose that they'd generally just make one
commit with everything included...