Re: CM 1.1 git question

From: Jonathan Kulp
Subject: Re: CM 1.1 git question
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 08:50:09 -0600

Graham Percival wrote:
On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 05:54:24PM +0100, Johannes Schindelin wrote:
Hi,

On Tue, 17 Feb 2009, Jonathan Kulp wrote:

Yes, it does set things up properly. I first acquired the repo using the git-clone command and now I grab updates just fine with git pull origin. I think these are the only git commands I've ever used. I'm still using diff to make patches.
You might be interested in 'git format-patch', which can turn a bunch of commits into mail-like files including the author and the commit message, and which can be applied using 'git am', or sent via 'git send-email'.

Jon should be especially interested in git format-patch, since
that's the official CG way of creating patches and we're supposed
to be eating this month.  ;)

Ok I'm reading about these git patch commands in CG. Am I correct in thinking that it creates the patch by comparing my local (changed) file with the corresponding file in the remote git repository? I've been doing this locally by saving a working copy of the file under a different filename, then running the diff -u command on the two local files to create the patch. I guess the way for me to feel more comfortable with the git format-patch command would be to create a local backup of the file I'm going to edit before doing any edits. Somehow I'm loathe to work directly on the source files...

Jon

--
Jonathan Kulp
http://www.jonathankulp.com