Re: convert-ly rules: word boundaries

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: convert-ly rules: word boundaries
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 2009 22:38:35 -0700

On Mon, Jul 06, 2009 at 11:14:13PM +0200, John Mandereau wrote:
> Le samedi 04 juillet 2009 à 01:58 -0700, Graham Percival a écrit :
> > arpeggio* should have \\ as well.  Also, they should also be
> > matched with full words.  In fact, 99% of the convert-ly rules
> > need to match a complete word.  According to Daniel Hulme,
> > "\\octave\b" would work fine.
>
> I agree on Python bits, but how can you be sure about the 99%?

I'm not, but almost all updates are in the form
  \\oldCommand -> \\newCommand

I suppose that somebody might have tried to speed up convert-ly
processing by doing
  \\old -> \\new
and leaving the "Command" out (thereby using one rule, instead of
two rules), but this seems a bit far-fetched.

> If we go for checking every old rule, this job must be split
> between several people as it is quite huge:

Not worth it.  The users have spoken quite clearly: they don't
care about convert-ly.  (since nobody has volunteered to help with
it, and it's an easy thing to do)

I'd just like to fix that one area, plus any new items.

> > 2)  Could somebody consider writing a nicely-named-function such
> > that the convert-ly rules look like this?
> >
> > def conv (str):
> >     str = f("\\oldCommand", "\\newCommand", str)
> > ?
>
> Agreed, but I can't promise anything for this, I have way much more to
> do for LilyPond (and a little for texi2html) than I'm able to complete
> until the end of the month.

Oh, this a very low-priority issue.  I'll dump it in the tracker.