proposal for user view of docs

From: Graham Percival
Subject: proposal for user view of docs
Date: Sat, 11 Jul 2009 03:13:53 -0700

Here's my proposal for the user's view of the documentation.

- the "website" is available in HTML, info, and pdf.  If you type
  "info lilypond", you get the website.  Package managers might
  create a lilypond-doc package consisting of the pdfs, or a local
  copy of the HTML, or whatever.

- when the user clicks (or info-browses to) on Manuals, he sees
  pretty much the current Manuals page:
http://percival-music.ca/blogfiles/out/lilypond-general_15.html

- when the user clicks on "Learning Manual", he gets the first
  page of the LM, namely:
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.13/Documentation/user/lilypond-learning/index

  There are a few modifications:
    - the top menu from the website might still present (I'm not
      certain if this would be a good idea or not)
    - the "Back to the Documentation Index" link in the top-left
      corner takes the user back to the Manuals page.
      (actually, if we keep the top website menu, we can remove
      that "Back to the Documentation Index" link)

  The current Documentation/index.html.in is completely removed.

- the same applies to all the other manuals; all 9 entries on the
  new website Manuals page.

- there is no other user documentation.  Things on the old
  index.html.in: Examples is dead (merged into the new
  Introductions->Examples), Translation Status is merged into
  the CG, Developer Resources is found under
  Community->development, Thankyous+Dedication are found under
  Community->Authors.  That leaves License, which could go...
  hmm, Download?  Introduction->Freedom?