Re: Feature request: 'line' articulation

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: Feature request: 'line' articulation
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 15:07:52 +0200 (CEST)

>> For Mozart, the stroke should perhaps a bit shorter -- maybe two
>> different symbols?
>
> Attached are two samples for long and short strokes with varying
> width.  The long strokes have height = staff_space, the shorter ones
> height = 0.8*staff_space (is that a reasonable choice?).  Each file
> contains strokes of each type with ten different widths, namely
> i*0.05*staff_space, for i=1,..,10. Which do you prefer?  I tend to
> lean towards #4 for the shorter ones and #4 or #5 for the longer
> ones, but that's just my personal aesthetics.

I don't have an opinion yet.  Reason: The thicker the shape in your
PDF, the less rounded are the corners -- this distorts the stroke too
much IMHO to find a reasonable variant.  I suggest to use the `minus'
glyph as a template w.r.t. the round corners.

> I'd be happy about opinions from you guys because I have never seen
> this symbol in a real score and am simply trying to provide the
> code.

You can look up the whole Neue Mozart-Ausgabe (NMA) online:

  http://dme.mozarteum.at

    Werner