Re: the "separate, but integrated" website proposal

From: John Mandereau
Subject: Re: the "separate, but integrated" website proposal
Date: Tue, 04 Aug 2009 12:55:05 +0200

Le lundi 03 août 2009 à 05:51 -0700, Graham Percival a écrit :
> I thought the website was going to be built from the stable
> branch?  If we're doing that, then let's delete the web branches.

This just made me come to mind that I'm for not including News in
generated offline docball: if we did, it would either
— require calling docs generation from GUB twice, once for the actual
build, once more for adding a news entry,
— require you to commit to Git a news entry then revert it in case you
notice the build can't make a release.

There may be other sneaky side effects of merging all of the web site
into the main sources, but I haven't notice them.

> Overall structure by Graham, with many comments and suggestions
> from -user.  Patrick McCarty worked extensively on the css and its
> integration with texinfo.  Jonathan worked on the Introduction.
> Patrick Schmidt did further work on the CSS and the Old news page.
> ----

I won't but I could add "makefiles and input files organization by
John".  Most of the building infrastructure of the web site is yet to be
done, so don't expect much of lilypond-general output to look good on
master tonight: as a docs build maintainter, my priority is having a
clean docs building infrastructure over working output, even for the
initial commit.  This is a bit uncomfortable, but as the generated web
site won't be made widely available (only a link from the old
Documentation index for next devel release?) and there are still a few
weeks before next stable release, this is fair.

About the discussion on generating examples, let's remember that
generated files in the sources are evil and should be reduced to the
bare minimum.  We already require lilypond and inkscape for the full
docs build, so let's use them also to generate pictures for the web
site.  Do you realize how complicated would be the docs building process
for the packager or simple contributor if instead of 'make doc', he had
to cd into a lot of directories directories to call 'make
generated-examples', 'make examples' and whatever?  If we allowed this,
all those secondary targets would also have to generate examples for all
languages; on a long-term perspective, I let you imagine the burden it
would add to commit to Git generated files for 20 languages(I agree that
20 is optimistic :-)

Cheers,
John