Re: the "r" in "git pull -r"

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: the "r" in "git pull -r"
Date: Sat, 8 Aug 2009 13:55:29 -0600

On 8/7/09 8:45 PM, "Patrick McCarty" <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 07, 2009 at 07:34:01PM -0700, Mark Polesky wrote:
>>
>> Regarding CG 1.2.2:
>> http://kainhofer.com/~lilypond/Documentation/contributor/Update-command.html
>>
>> What does "-r" do in "git pull -r"? I don't see "-r"
>> listed as an option here:
>> http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/git-pull.html
>
> It's undocumented, unfortunately.  :-)
>
> The equivalent long option (that *is* documented) is
>
>   git pull --rebase

As a practical matter, -r first applies the changes that were made on origin
(since your branch was checked out), then applies your changes on top of the
current origin.  The prevents an extra commit to merge your branch with
origin, and keeps the git history cleaner.

My recommendation is to always use it; it makes things much nicer.

Carl