Re: the "r" in "git pull -r"

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: the "r" in "git pull -r"
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2009 01:45:50 -0700

On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 10:34:11AM +0200, Johannes Schindelin wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Aug 2009, Graham Percival wrote:
>
> > We've lost 50% of potential contributors to the website because of
> > git.
>
> Fair enough.  Maybe it is time to suggest an easy interface to Git?  You
> could even write a very simple wrapper around Git that _just_ downloads
> the current version of LilyPond, allows the user to edit the files and
> then click another button to send the patch.

Seriously?!  That would be **fantastic**!

I don't think it needs to be a GUI, though.  A program or script
that downloads the latest material on the master/ branch, then
produces a patch upon request.  Like:

$ git-easy get
    (produces lilypond/ with the current master/ branch)
$ cd lilypond/
$ git-easy update
    (downloads any updates)
$ vi Documentation/learning.itely
$ git-easy commit
    (produces a patch in ../ )
$ git-easy reset
    (reverts to exactly the online master/ branch)

I know that a command-line app would be a bit unfamiliar for
windows users, but I'm ok asking them to learn that much.