Re: GUB - Failed target: darwin-x86::cross/gcc

From: Patrick McCarty
Subject: Re: GUB - Failed target: darwin-x86::cross/gcc
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2009 12:07:19 -0700

On 2009-10-06, Graham Percival wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 05, 2009 at 02:48:12PM -0700, Patrick McCarty wrote:
> > On 2009-10-03, Jan Nieuwenhuizen wrote:
> > > patches are applied by the patch () function, see gub/build.py.
> > > If you override the patch function, *.AutoBuild.patch (self)
> > > must be called.  See examples in other .py files.
> > >
> > > It is good practice to do so even if there are no patches in
> > > a class [yet].
> >
> > Thanks!  I managed to get the patch applied against gcc 4.3.2, but it
> > didn't fix my issue in the end.  Same compile failure.
> >
> > I'll keep investigating.  :-)
>
> I'm more interested in figuring out why the same version of gcc
> works for us, but not you.  Are you on darxin-x86 natively?  That
> could easily explain why it works for Jan on linux-64 and me on
> linux-x86, but not you.  Or do you have some weird version of gcc
> installed?

No, I'm on 64-bit Arch Linux, though I've also reproduced with 32-bit
Arch Linux.  gcc is version 4.4.1.

It's possible that part of my build toolchain is broken after a recent
update, but I have no idea where to begin looking.

I'm planning on doing some shell tracing to get more verbose output,
but haven't gotten around to it yet.

> Have you tried googling for that "failed platform: i386" or
> whatever error you had?

The best hit I get in a Google search is the archive of this thread.
:-)  Other hits are for extremely old versions of gcc and not likely
relevant.

BTW, the "forbidden targets" message appears when I build 4.1.1 for
darwin-ppc too, but compilation does not fail.

-Patrick