Re: Issue 872 in lilypond: Changes split-page has broken images

From: John Mandereau
Subject: Re: Issue 872 in lilypond: Changes split-page has broken images
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2009 20:00:14 +0100

Le jeudi 12 novembre 2009 à 18:09 +0000, Graham Percival a écrit :
> Lines 360, 381, 384.  Documentation/lilypond-texi2html.init
> Works for contributor; I didn't bother checking the others.  From
> a clean source tree.

Ah, thanks, my too limited understanding of the init file made me
downcase only in texinfo_file_name when returning the filename, which is
not enough.

> > If I understand correctly, the map file for General is currently
>
> I think you mean "init file"?

No, the map files are in out-www/xref-maps.  I don't know how you got
the low-case filenames working without knowing this :-)

> You're reluctant to do lilypond stuff because of phd issues?  I'm
> spending about half my waking hours working on lilypond -- and I'm
> already an official phd student.

Maybe, but AFAIK you're not setting a joint supervision between two
bureaucratic countries, the most bureaucratic one being maybe France :-P

> (should we start casting dirty looks at Reinhold and Patrick?
> They were the people who wrote the original one, so they're in the
> best position to remove the unneeded code from the new one... but
> again, I don't believe in blaming / making demands  on people
> because they helped out in the past)

It will take me dozens of hours to understand Texi2thml init scripts
well and then a few extra hours to do the planned
changes/bugfixe/cleanups.  I'm not making any demand, I'm just
complaining about the time and effort I will have to spend for this.
Anyway, I don't understand well this diatribe here: I never suspected
you of casting any dirty look when you were complaining about the build
system complicatedness (or whatever the maoing correct term in English
is).

> > >   And we could try looking into why we get the duplicate
> > > anchors which confuse opera)
> >
> > Isn't it because Texi2HTML generates one anchor from the node, and
> > another one from the section?
>
> Great!  You know more than me.  Want to take it over?

Probably.  I think I identified the problem, but it will takes me a
couple of hours to get deep enough into the init file to be able to
solve this.

> I'm sorry, I didn't want to snap at you.

Don't be afraid of this, we have many ongoing LilyPond tasks that would
been enough even if we worked full time on it, I wrote my previous
message under pressure before going to Paris.

>   But I think everybody
> has seriously underestimated both the amount, and importance, of
> these basic "maintenance" tasks.

This is well said.

Best,
John