Re: Code review/discussion time again.

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Re: Code review/discussion time again.
Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2009 01:31:34 +0100

Am Sonntag, 22. November 2009 01:17:10 schrieb David Kastrup:
> Neil Puttock <address@hidden> writes:
> > 2009/11/21 David Kastrup <address@hidden>:
> >> Modifying Lilypond, then recompiling and reinstalling.  That's not the
> >> most hack-friendly way.  I am still finding my way around.
> >
> > You're only modifying .scm files, so there shouldn't be any
> > recompiling/reinstalling involved.
>
> They are lilypond .scm files, so I need to edit them either in the
> source tree (where they won't get consulted without reinstalling) or in
> the installed tree (where they will get overwritten on reinstalling) or
> in private directories (where I get into search order mess when
> different versions are flying around).

The easiest way to develop lilypond is to execute the binary directly from the
build tree (=source tree). In particular, I have a file ~/.bin/lilypond
(~/.bin is in my $PATH) containing only:

#!/bin/sh
exec ~/lilypond/lilypond/out/bin/lilypond --relocate "$@"

Apparently, my lilypond tree is in ~/lilypond/lilypond/. Notice the magic
thing here is the --relocate option, which tells lilypond to use the include
and scm files from the directory of the binary.

This way, running lilypond on the konsole will simply execute the built
lilypond binary from the build (=src) tree and use all include and scm files
from the source tree, no installation necessary. Plus, I can always run the
Kubuntu-installed lilypond 2.12.x by explicitly calling /usr/bin/lilypond.

Cheers,
Reinhold
 * http://www.fam.tuwien.ac.at/, DVR: 0005886