Re: Code review/discussion time again.

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Re: Code review/discussion time again.
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2009 11:17:33 +0100

Am Sonntag, 22. November 2009 07:49:04 schrieb David Kastrup:
> Carl Sorensen <address@hidden> writes:
> > And if you have the source tree in a git repository, then it's trivial to
> > make branches, and checkout the appropriate branch.  That way you don't
> > have to worry about overwrites (and if you do have overwrite problems,
> > then you just reset the head).
> >
> > It's no problem at all, if you do it that way.
>
> Hello merge conflict, my old friend, I've come to talk with you again...
>
> If you have ever worked in a project with a central ChangeLog file, you
> know the permanent hassle with switching branches when some changes
> require entries in a central file.

With git this is not really a problem. I'm constantly working with 5-10
different branches. Every now and then, I rebase them to current master, but
apart from that each branch is isolated, doesn't influence each other, and
changes to the global news file, etc. can be merged when I want to do a
rebase.

Really, once you have learned how to use git rebase (and the manual merging it
sometimes requires), working with branches in git is really no problem at all.

Cheers,
Reinhold

 * http://www.fam.tuwien.ac.at/, DVR: 0005886