Re: Add option to indicate frets by letters in tablature (issue164063)

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: Add option to indicate frets by letters in tablature (issue164063)
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2009 01:07:03 -0000

<address@hidden>, Sunday, December 20, 2009 9:48 PM

On 2009/12/14 12:13:07, t.daniels_treda.co.uk wrote:

I think I've corrected the formatting errors as you suggested.
Could you please
explain when I should use a 1-space indent and when 2-space, please,
otherwise
this seems just arbitrary. I do find a 1-space indent makes it more
difficult to
see the alignments when the lines are some distance apart.

I'm afraid I can't give you a definitive list of 2-space vs 1-space keywords; AFAIK, it's just a feature of standard Lisp indentation style, which is why it's advisable to use an editor which does it properly.

Here's a link which explains it a bit more clearly:
http://evalwhen.com/scmindent/index.html

Thanks Neil, that's very helpful.  I now understand
why it is difficult to explain the indenting in words.

It is also useful to know what the different levels of
indentation mean when reading code.  After all, there's
not much point in indenting lines differently if the
meaning of the different indents is not understood by
readers.  Although if these indentation rules have not
been applied consistently in existing Lily code I guess
they can't be relied on (yet).

So is http://codereview.appspot.com/164063 now ready to go?

The indentation in translation-functions.scm is still a bit wrong, but
apart from that, it looks fine.

OK, I'll get the emacs indenting script working, fix the
indenting, and push.

Thanks,
Trevor