Line breaking, simple-spacer, etc.

From: Boris Shingarov
Subject: Line breaking, simple-spacer, etc.
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 2010 15:33:31 -0500

I am experimenting with some modifications to the line breaking code, and I am
stuck trying to understand how some of it works.  So far my understanding is
that Simple_spacer operates on a vector of Grobs, and it is a well-known
Constrained-QP problem (rods = constraints, springs = quadratic function to
minimize).  What I don't understand is, if the spacer operates at the level of
Grobs, which are built at an earlier stage in the pipeline, how are the changes
necessitated by differences in line breaking, taken into account?  in other
words, if I take the last measure of a line and place it on the next line, it
is not just a matter of literally moving that graphic to where the start of the
next line is, but I also need to draw a clef, key signature, and possibly other
fundamental things -- but at that stage in the rendering pipeline, is it not
too late??