Re: Disagree with recent DOC change

From: James Bailey
Subject: Re: Disagree with recent DOC change
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 2010 18:14:13 +0100

On 08.02.2010, at 14:02, David Kastrup wrote:

On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 10:02 AM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
I don't think that this is useful advice since binaries often are
incompatible with Scheme/Lilypond trees of other versions, and since
many regressions are not introduced in the binaries.

Trevor meant the GUB packages, which install the "actual binary"
as well as the scheme stuff, fonts, etc.

Then the proper wording is "downloading binary releases" or "binary
packages".  But "binaries" means something different.

I think this is nitpicking; we don't release just the binary files
separately; people'd have to go through contortions to do what you
think is suggested.

Well, _I_ understood the wording wrong. Do you really want to bet your
life on it that I am the most stupid person possibly ever working with
Lilypond, so that nobody else possibly could misunderstand?

You (and your understanding) are not the target audience for this information. This information is meant for non-developer/nin-git users. The people who don't use git (i.e., me) don't know that there is a difference between a binary and a binary release. So while your confusion is understood, and the change to more precise may be helpful, it may also be more confusing to someone who's never heard of a binary release and equates the word "binary" with, "the thing I download from the lilypond release page".