Re: CG 2 working with source code

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: CG 2 working with source code
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2010 21:55:23 +0000

On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 11:39:57PM -0800, Mark Polesky wrote:
> This one might be easier for someone other than me*:
> 23: Add instructions for using @command{lily-git} here.
> *I don't remember if I said I'd write it, but I haven't done
> any work on it.  If someone who's more familiar with it
> wants to put something together, that's certainly fine with
> me.  I only briefly looked at it a month and a half ago.

If possible, I'd like you to handle it.  The two new doc
contributors could take a stab at it, but they're currently busy
with other tasks.

lily-git shouldn't be hard to figure out -- if it *is*, then we
have more problems than just lacking docs for it.  It should only
take an hour: spend 15-30 minutes playing with lily-git.tcl, then
30 minutes writing a bit about it.  Something like 1 paragraph, an
itemized list with 2-4 sentences per button on the GUI should be
fine.

> This one was here before I got there:
> 501: when committishes automatic conditional update have been

WTM does this mean?  I think that should be a TODO, not a FIXME.

> Can anyone help with any of these three?
> 145: Add instructions for changing the editor on Windows, which
> 488: I think the next paragraph is confusing.  Perhaps prepare
> 1061: Explain how to determine if a patch was created with

Those are probably either obsolete after adding lily-git, or are
not necessary before 2.14.

In general, I think that everything other than lily-git.tcl should
be a TODO instead of a FIXME.  In case you missed it, I'm started
to enforce the definitions in the CG doc chapter: FIXME means that
it must be fixed before the next stable release; TODO is for
anything else.  I don't see CG 2 as being critical for a stable
release.  There's lots that must be done before we start
recruiting new contributors GOP, but that's a separate issue.