Re: Life of a Grob

From: Joe Neeman
Subject: Re: Life of a Grob
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 13:52:36 -0800

On Thu, 2010-02-18 at 13:46 -0700, Carl Sorensen wrote:

> On 2/18/10 11:58 AM, "Joe Neeman" <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 2010-02-18 at 10:56 -0700, Carl Sorensen wrote:
> >
> > You need to be running a lilypond binary that was compiled with
> > --enable-debugging for it to work.
>
> I've been doing that., but thanks for the tip.

Hm, ok. If you set a breakpoint at Grob::instrumented_set_property, does
it get hit?

> > Also, the regtest doesn't produce
> > a .ps for the graph, it just writes a text description to stdout (or
> > stderr, I'm not sure). You'll need to process that description with
> > "dot" (part of the graphviz package) to produce the ps.
>
> OK, so I've tried that, but the regtest graph appeared to have a syntax
> error.  I thought that it might have been because there was only one
> element, so no connections.

There should be more than one connection. I've attached the output that
I get with latest git.

> So I added 3 notes to the input file.  Then I got a syntax error.  I suspect
> that somehow the graphviz stuff isn't working any more.
>
> The input file:
>
> sorensen2:lilypond-working Carl$ cat graphviz.ly
> \header {
>   texidoc = "The graphviz feature draws dependency graphs for grob
> properties."
>
>   }
>
> \version "2.12.0"
> \include "graphviz-init.ly"
>
> #(whitelist-grob 'NoteHead)
> #(whitelist-grob 'Stem)
> #(whitelist-grob "NoteHead")
> #(whitelist-grob "Stem")
>
> #(map whitelist-symbol '(stencil style duration-log
>              stem-attachment end-position staff-position
>              glyph-name direction))
>

> \book {
>   \score {
>     c'4 d' e' f'

You'll want to add some more braces...
\score {
  { c'4 d' e' d' }
}

> Is it worth spending time trying to track down this error?

That depends on whether you want to use the feature. It works here, so
at least it isn't completely broken...

Cheers,
Joe