Re: mac osx terminal instructions

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: mac osx terminal instructions
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2010 21:18:54 +0000

On Tue, Mar 09, 2010 at 10:59:48AM +0000, James Lowe wrote:
> Hans Aberg wrote:
>> On 7 Mar 2010, at 08:12, James Bailey wrote:
>>
>> They are different: LilyPond.app/Contents/Resources/bin/ has other
>> stuff in it than just the lilypond programs, for example ps2pdf. If one
>> adds this location to the environment variable PATH, one must decide
>> which version of these to call.
>
> From a user's point of view why is it done like this? Why have two 'bin'
> locations and not just put it all in
>
> LilyPond.app/Contents/Resources/bin/

That *is* what we do.  And that's why you shouldn't set your PATH
to be that dir.

we distribute, for example, ps2pdf.  Apple includes its own
ps2pdf.  If the lilypond ps2pdf was called all the time (if you
modified your path), then certain other programs might stop
working.  that's not ideal.

It should be possible to have two different bin locations inside
the lilypond.app, and direct people to add one of them to their
path.  Setting this up would take 1-3 hours for somebody who knows
about osx app bundles, unix shell environments, has gub installed
and can use it, and is familiar with make and python and shell
scripts.

If somebody doesn't know the above, then add time as required.
Installing and using GUB, for example, would take anywhere from 2
to 200 hours.

I don't see anything happening on this issue for months.