Re: Occasional Problem with Gitk on Ubunto

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: Occasional Problem with Gitk on Ubunto
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 12:13:40 -0600

On 3/31/10 11:52 AM, "James Lowe" <address@hidden> wrote:

> hello,
>
> I use the Lilybunto dist in a VM to do my Lilypond work and I have
> noticed on and off that occasionally 'gitk' only shows the last 'few'
> lines of the all the checkins.

I think this is not a gitk issue, but rather a lily-git issue.

When used in  Contributor mode, lily-git does a shallow clone to initialize
the repository.  So it doesn't fetch the entire history of the git
repository.

When you do an update, it will get the new history and add it on top of
whatever the history is in your repository.

If you delete the lilypond-git directory and then reinitialize the
repository (with the "1. Git Source" button, it will again do a shallow
clone, and you'll have just a little bit of history.

If you want to have the *entire* git history in your local repository, you
can do so by editing lily-git.tcl, line 10 to

set translator 1

Then delete the lilypond-git directory and run lily-git.tcl.  Click on the
"1. Get translation" button, and you'll have the full repository.

Then exit lily-git.tcl, and change line 10 back to

set translator 0

And you'll be off and running again.

The other thing you can do to see the entire lilypond git history is to go

http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=lilypond.git

Please let me know if these instructions aren't clear enough.

Graham, perhaps we should make it so lily-git does a full clone, even in
contributor mode?

Thanks,

Carl