Re: Can not make install

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Can not make install
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2010 17:41:03 +0100

On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 4:27 PM, Francisco Vila <address@hidden> wrote:
> 2010/4/22 Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden>:
>>> install-info complains about lack of 'This file documents' on
>>> out/lilypond-web.info, so here is the patch.

What if you just write "This is the LilyPond website" ?  I mean, does
it really need to be "this file doucments xyz" ?  That sounds like a
really weird (and stupid) requirement of for texinfo or info or
whatever, if it's true.

Also, I don't see any changes to web.tely since 2010-02-27, so this
can't be the reason that "make install" stopped working for some
people.  Was it the translation changes to GNUmakefile ?  I can't see
anything weird there.

> In addition to my last question 'Where does that text go in the
> website?'

In a comment at the top of every page, so admittedly not in any visible place.

> I have another one, namely Why do we need an info version of
> the website?

We decided to produce docs in all output formats.  The website
includes some important material, such as the overview of manuals,
contact information, and bug report guidelines.  People browsing the
docs in info should have that knowledge at their disposal.
That decision was 12 months ago; the debate will not be reopened now.