Re: PATCH: 100+ warnings and some cosmetics along the way

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: PATCH: 100+ warnings and some cosmetics along the way
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2010 09:23:15 +0200 (CEST)

>       * Why are many lines wrapped at 60-80 (while some at 100)?
>       * This makes reading the code hard, console mode wrapping
>       * seems deprecated to me (especially on my 24'' monitor). I
>       * think that 95-110 chars/line are better in most cases then
>       * wrapping @ 80.

I strongly disagree.  IMHO, having 80 chars per line *increases*
readability if you try to use a vertically oriented code formatting.
Compare this to a book: If lines are too long it gets uncomfortable to
read – just think of an A4 paper with a one-column text at 10pt, and
you know what I mean...

BTW, the standard setting in Emacs for the right margin in C mode is
still 70.

If you find too long lines, please make them shorter in case you are
doing a real code change around this spot, or if you want to organize
the code so that you can understand it better.  Otherwise, however,
please use ZERO time for this unimportant formatting issue!  There are
so many more important things to do...

    Werner