Re: 100+ warnings and some cosmetics along the way (issue1724041)

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: 100+ warnings and some cosmetics along the way (issue1724041)
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2010 18:50:59 -0600

On 6/16/10 3:49 PM, "address@hidden" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Reviewers: carl.d.sorensen_gmail.com,
>
> Message:
> I would have split it into chunks, but my main concern was warnings,
> which was present in most of the files. Most of the committed files only
> contain casts.
> Reviewing will take about 1-2 hours, I guess.
>
> I have checked in the code how casting works and I have used the int(),
> mostly , without the space (could have used int() or static_cast<int>(),
> but this was the most aesthetic to me). Must have found a wrong example.
> Should I correct it?

Stroustrup mentions that you can do cast as

(type-name) expression

or

simple-type-name ( expression-list )

I prefer to always use

(type-name) expression

because the same syntax applies to both simple types and other types.

I think that's what I have mostly seen in the lilypond codebase.  But as far
as I know, this isn't a standard.

> I don't really like the extra space decision, this way "while ()", "if
> ()" and "clear ()" all look the same, while only the last one is a
> function, the rest are not. And it even occupies too much space, but if
> that's the standard, that's how I'll do it :).

It is the standard.  And submitting a patch is not the time to change the
standard.

> (Eclipse has a pretty
> good code formatter, someone might want to run it (or maybe
> http://astyle.sourceforge.net/, haven't tried it, though) on the whole
> project to beautify the code automagically)

We've had discussions about various formatters.  You can look for them on
-devel.  And in fact, there is a lilypond code formatter.

(see http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.13/Documentation/contributor/indentation)

However,  the diffs are so large that we are unwilling to run everything
through it.

See http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gnu.lilypond.devel/25397

The current recommendation for *indentation* is to use emacs, as shown in
the CG reference above.

Thanks,

Carl