Re: "patch" for underline function

From: Alexander Kobel
Subject: Re: "patch" for underline function
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2010 12:08:39 +0200

On 2010-07-14 10:42, Graham Percival wrote:
On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 10:34:01AM +0200, Alexander Kobel wrote:
@ Graham: W.r.t.
<http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2010-07/msg00015.html>,
what's a non-developer supposed to do with his review?  Post on -devel?
Comment in the issue description?  Both?  Neither?

A post to -devel is fine.  If you have a lot of comments, it might
be nice to post on the codereview google website... but "merely"
sending an email to -devel is still incredibly helpful.

Once I recognized that it's not very hard to get the build setup running (on a Linux box, I mean), I immediately appreciated the benefits of Rietveld. If the patch is there, it's of course the best option to comment there. Kieren still lacks a git setup, though, and this very patch has only been mentioned on the -devel list and the bug tracker, so I guess it's a special case. I can prepare a proper git patch and post it on Rietveld, but I'd rather do so once I have some comments about the font-size relation of this functionality.

Regarding your new entry in the tracker about how to comment: Rietveld looks like the best option for reviews, but I dislike to force everybody to use it. I'm not sure how many developers really can't prepare git diffs or submit to Rietveld, but I vaguely remember and respect David's concerns to open yet another account, especially with a possible data leech, and it requires an up-and-running git. Since it requires write access to finally push the patch anyway, I propose discussions on -devel, and a link to the thread in the bug tracker for reference. Once the patch LGTEveryone, preparing the git diff-style patch should not take long. And it can be done by anybody, like me, with no need for real (LilyPond) programming experience.

Cheers,
Alexander