Re: vim instructions change

From: Colin Campbell
Subject: Re: vim instructions change
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2010 13:34:23 -0600

On 10-07-25 12:45 PM, Graham Percival wrote:
I'm a bit suspicious about commit
4578dfbfdab5704ffc5317adfb252cb242f30115

1. AFAIK, we definitely want people creating or modifying
~/.vim/filetype.vim
It's just possible that it might be on a different location on
windows, but most people using vim on windows would probably be
using cygwin, so that would still be ~/.vim/ If somebody's doing
something else, they probably know enough to adjust the dir
accordingly.

I installed Vim and set up the vim mode, using the available instructions. During the checking, I found that, at least on my Ubuntu, neither filetypes.vim nor .vimrc existed in $HOME. To avoid a raft of distro/platform specific issues, I added the suggestion of using ":version" from a vim session to locate the files being used.
They *definitely* should not be modifying anything inside
/usr/share/vim/...

2. Unless somebody has manually created a ~/.vim/filetype.vim,
they need to create a new file with the lines which were removed
in the commit.

If I understand the vim help files, and the original poster, that would prevent the rest of the system filetype.vim from being seen, as vim sees the first instance on the $PATH. I suspect, subject to confirmation, that the preferred technique would be to make a local copy of /usr/share/vim/vim72/filetype.vim in ~/.vim/filetype.vim and then apply any changes to the copy.

3. I think the previous runtimepath was wrong, but the new one
isn't much better -- it should point to the locally-installed
version of lilypond, which will not necessarily be at /usr/local/
(for example, I always install it in ~/usr/ )

I added the sentence "If your LilyPond is installed . . ." to make this clear. Both this caution and the :version sentence are at the end of the Vim section; should I perhaps move them nearer the beginning?

On a general documentation editing note, don't trust users
blindly.  If somebody makes a suggestion, verify it first -- most
of the time, "verify" just means "run the lilypond example they
gave and see if the output looks good", so this isn't a hard step.
If somebody makes a suggestion about some OS-specific thing or
weird software that you're not familiar with, I'd recommend
caution.  Maybe add a tracker issue asking for somebody (well, a
known+trusted somebody) to check the info, before editing the doc
files.

As above, I made sure to see how it works on my machine, by installing Vim and setting up the vim mode, noticed some potential issues regarding file locations on different platforms, and tried to word the instructions as generally as possible. It seems reasonable that users who know enough Vim to be interested in installing a vim mode, would also be aware of the specifics of their own installation, including the danger of editing in /usr.

--later--

Looking through the vim reference manual, it seems the best technique would be making a local copy in ~/.vim/filetypes.vim and modifying that. If that works for the -dev folk, I'll patch accordingly.

Colin

--
I stay cool and dig all jive, That's the way I stay alive.
My motto, as I live and learn, is "Dig and be dug in return."