Re: vim instructions change

From: Patrick McCarty
Subject: Re: vim instructions change
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2010 12:43:40 -0700

On Sun, Jul 25, 2010 at 11:45 AM, Graham Percival
<address@hidden> wrote:
> I'm a bit suspicious about commit
> 4578dfbfdab5704ffc5317adfb252cb242f30115
>
> 1. AFAIK, we definitely want people creating or modifying
> ~/.vim/filetype.vim
> It's just possible that it might be on a different location on
> windows, but most people using vim on windows would probably be
> using cygwin, so that would still be ~/.vim/ If somebody's doing
> something else, they probably know enough to adjust the dir
> accordingly.
>
> They *definitely* should not be modifying anything inside
> /usr/share/vim/...
>

> 2. Unless somebody has manually created a ~/.vim/filetype.vim,
> they need to create a new file with the lines which were removed
> in the commit.

FWIW, I don't have a ~/.vim/filetype.vim configuration at all.

The current LilyPond source file vim/lilypond-ftdetect.vim overrides
any filetype detection in filetype.vim, since it uses

  au! BufNewFile,BufRead *.ly,*.ily               set ft=lilypond

instead of

  au! BufNewFile,BufRead *.ly,*.ily               setf lilypond

IMO, that method is more reliable, and I don't have to worry about
modifying a ~/.vim/filetype.vim for LilyPond.

-Patrick