Re: Revised autobeam settings patch (issue1682049)

From: Arno Waschk
Subject: Re: Revised autobeam settings patch (issue1682049)
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 2010 09:43:48 +0200

On Mon, 02 Aug 2010 03:04:35 +0200, Carl Sorensen <address@hidden> wrote:

On 8/1/10 10:33 AM, "Arno Waschk" <address@hidden> wrote:

dear list,

i am *completely* confused by this autobeaming thing and especially its
documentation.
even after reading it twice i do not have a clue how to practically use
those things.
it rather appears as a highly complex mixture of *either* telling me what
instructions and value exists *or* what they might contain *or* what
changing them might have an effect, but i am completely lost in trying to
combine that information.

and it seems it does not really cover my actual problem:

in a 8/32 measure, i am always having as a 9-tuplet (filling one measure)
3 16th notes and one dotted 16th (in all possible orders). and i want
always whole bar beams. which works fine unless the dotted 16th is first.
how do i change that?

Do you want all durations of beams to be whole bar beams? If so, simply do

\set beatStructure = #'(8)

this is what i tried. does not work for the tuple thing.

Do you want only the tuplets to have whole bar beams, then you'll need to
set beamExceptions.  Probably something like

\set beamExceptions = #'((end . ((9 . 256) . (9))))

i can try this, but now i understand even less than after reading the third time the docs....
why 256????

If you'd post code that shows what you've tried and what doesn't work, it
would be easier to help you. And if there's a bug that is causing problems,
then it's easier to debug.

I'm sorry for your difficulties.  If you can get back with some examples,

i would prefer to have docs with some clear explanation, which value has which effect. and some intuitive examples. or even better the whole thing organised in a way which des not need pages of cryptic explanations....

Thanks, Arno

I'll try to help (but I'm leaving tomorrow morning on my second week of
vacation).

Thanks,

Carl

--
Arno Waschk
+49-172-3149605

upcoming projects:
Eggert: Bordellballade (WP) Dessau, Koblenz, Berlin
Schlingensief: Two new Projects (Burkina Faso, Brussels, Hamburg, Munich, Mühlheim/Ruhr, Berlin) Maxwell-Davies/Sciarrino: Miss Donnithorne's Maggot/Infinito Nero Berlin Staatsoper