Re: Web: underlined refs in HTML

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Web: underlined refs in HTML
Date: Sat, 7 Aug 2010 02:29:10 +0100

On Fri, Aug 06, 2010 at 05:31:31PM +0100, Trevor Daniels wrote:
> I don't understand what is meant by this TODO in
> /download.itexi:
>
> @item
> @c TODO: duplicate to avoid underlined refs in HTML?  icky.
> @ref{Unix, @sourceimage{logo-linux,,,}
> @sourceimage{logo-freebsd,,,}}
> @ref{Unix, Unix (Linux and FreeBSD)}
>
> I presume the comment is yours.
>
> I don't myself see anything wrong with the underlined refs,
> so I don't know what to do.  What do you want this itemised list to look
> like?

IIRC, doing
@ref{Unix, @sourceimage{logo-linux,,,}
@sourceimage{logo-freebsd,,,} Unix (Linux and FreeBSD)}

produced an underlining line under the images, as well as the
text.  That looked weird.

The current solution -- duplicating the @ref{} to avoid having
underlined image links -- feels a bit icky, because it's totally
mixing up presentation and content.  Granted, we need to do a fair
amount of that stuff anyway, but I was hoping that somebody could
add some CSS tweak to remove the underline from images, while
still retaining the "unified" ref:
@ref{Unix, @sourceimage{logo-linux,,,}
@sourceimage{logo-freebsd,,,} Unix (Linux and FreeBSD)}

Maybe spend 10 minutes looking at css properties and playing with
the website generation (remember that "make website" finishes much
faster than a whole doc rebuild), but if nothing jumps out you,
how about we just dump it in the tracker as a Doc-postponed issue.
(or even just add it as a comment to the "website design" or
"website css" or whatever that issue was).