Re: german doc patch, issue 1344

From: Marc Hohl
Subject: Re: german doc patch, issue 1344
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2010 11:45:40 +0100

Am 15.11.2010 11:08, schrieb Francisco Vila:
2010/11/13 Marc Hohl<address@hidden>:
Am 13.11.2010 18:29, schrieb Graham Percival:
Guys,

There's been a simply German doc patch waiting for review for a few weeks:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2010-09/msg00329.html

I don't know if the change to the English docs is still valid after
the spacing doc rewrite (Mark, could you check?), but the German stuff
can probably be pushed anyway.

Translation Meister: could you poke the German translators to review
it, and if they don't respond, use your own judgement about whether to
push the patch or reject it?  My advice is that if no German speaker
says anything, and the patch doesn't break the compile, then go ahead
and push it even if you don't have a clue what it's doing.

IMHO, the names of the variables should be *explained* in the translations,
but not *translated* - and this is what the patch tries to correct.
Undoubtedly, in examples and code.
Oh, yes, that's what I was referring to.
Mostly, but not always, in plain text.  My reason is that the original
English texts continuously use variable names and keywords as nouns
with their meaning as words in phrases; therefore, a better
translation could sometimes adapt these words to have a phrase that
keeps being meaningful when translated.
Of course.
That said, I rely on you for the correctness of the patch. I'll post a
notice to Till on -translations list and wait 36 hours for comments
from him; then please could you push it? Thankyou
I don't have push privileges, sorry. But as this part of the docs
has been reworked, the english part of the patch wouldn't
apply cleanly.

Moreover, since the changes to the english docs have to be translated,
all there is to do is *not* to translate variable names in examples and code
in the future, as you mentioned above. So I think this patch can be dropped.

Regards,

Marc