Re: accidental.ly regtest

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: accidental.ly regtest
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2010 11:55:24 -0000

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Kastrup" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Sent: Tuesday, December 14, 2010 11:32 AM

"Phil Holmes" <address@hidden> writes:

This is the accidental.ly regtest:

[...]

It produces the attached image, which looks rather odd, since it has
an accidental of natural-#.  I'm guessing that this is because the key
sig is flats, and therefore the flat goes to natural before it goes to
sharp, but it looked odd to my eye and that of another bug-squadder.
Is it correct behaviour?

Totally.  This is really standard notation and I am surprised you have
not yet come across it.

I guess that having a sharp in a flats key is quite unusual - it looks like the key sig for the piece is A flat major, and to get an e sharp you'd have to move to F sharp major, which is quite a movement.

If so, I think it would justify a note in the description, or indeed a
change to the regtest to get rid of the key sig entirely.

I fail to see why.

Well - because it's unusual. Far more common to have a sharp on a natural note in the key sig, or a natural on a flat, for example.

--
Phil Holmes