Re: keep git master clean

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: keep git master clean
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 19:18:08 +0100

* Graham Percival wrote on Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 07:14:37PM CET:
> On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 6:09 PM, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
> > * Carl Sorensen wrote on Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 06:34:59PM CET:
> >> In order to be sure a one-line patch doesn't break the build, we need to to
> >> make doc-clean && make doc,
> >
> > That simply means that there is a bug in the build system, in that it
> > doesn't track all dependencies.
>
> Patches appreciated.

Of course.  I'd love to contribute if I had time.

> > The right way forward is to fix the
> > build system, not punish (new nor old) contributors.
>
> Until we can trust the build system, we shouldn't consider reverting a
> patch to be punishment.  It's just a social workaround to a technical
> bug which nobody has fixed (and frankly, which I doubt will ever be
> fixed).

Right; sorry for being sloppy.  I considered 'make doc-clean && make
doc' the punishment for (new and old) contributors, and broken git
punishment for new contributors.  Reversion just a workaround until the
build system works, not a punishment; at least not of the person whose
patch is reverted.

Cheers,
Ralf