Re: Towards a new pitch representation

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Towards a new pitch representation
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2010 16:46:55 +0100

Carl Sorensen <address@hidden> writes:

> No need to decide how many of them.  Just make the argument a list,
> instead of a cons cell, and give the user access to change the length
> of the list if they want to.

Huh?  "Access to change the length of the list"?  We are talking about a
list, don't we?  Not an array?  The list is whatever length you need at
any particular point of time.  If it is a list of alterations, quite
possibly length 0.

> For the default distribution, the list length should be two, because
> we have symbols for quarter-tone alterations, but no symbols for
> anything smaller.

Huh?  What point is there in declaring a certain list length in advance
rather than just using what is needed?