Re: shortened flags affair, part 4 - downstem 8th flag

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: shortened flags affair, part 4 - downstem 8th flag
Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2011 17:17:51 -0700

On 3/5/11 4:12 PM, "Janek Warchoł" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Short question: do you agree to make downstem 8th flag shorter, as in
> "single downstem proposed.png"?
> This way it won't blend into notehead. This would be consistent with
> looks of other flags, see gaps.png.
> I know that many fonts have flags sticking into the noteheads, but:
> - these flags are usually thinner than ours and therefore make
> different impression,
> - if they stick into noteheads, they always do so,
> - in my opinion score is easier to read when there is a gap between
> flag and notehead.
> I've seen a finale user complaining about it too. I recommend reading
> http://forum.makemusic.com/default.aspx?f=6=209535=209731#m209729
> <http://forum.makemusic.com/default.aspx?f=6&m=209535&g=209731#m209729>
> - we can learn something from his post.

I prefer the current.  It is consistent with Read's recommendations.

But I don't feel strongly about it.

As far as the comments he has about his music, I'd like to see his source
code.  It looks to me like he's forcing a non-optimal layout; the note close
to the bar line in measure 6 is not something that LilyPond will do by
default now (and I doubt it did in 2.10.33, either).

Thanks,

Carl