Re: shortened flags affair, part 4 - downstem 8th flag

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: shortened flags affair, part 4 - downstem 8th flag
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2011 02:54:45 +0100

W dniu 6 marca 2011 01:17 użytkownik Carl Sorensen <address@hidden> napisał:

> On 3/5/11 4:12 PM, "Janek Warchoł" <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Short question: do you agree to make downstem 8th flag shorter, as in
>> "single downstem proposed.png"?
>> I've seen a finale user complaining about it too. I recommend reading
>> http://forum.makemusic.com/default.aspx?f=6&m=209535&g=209731#m209729
>> - we can learn something from his post.
>
> As far as the comments he has about his music, I'd like to see his source
> code.  It looks to me like he's forcing a non-optimal layout; the note close
> to the bar line in measure 6 is not something that LilyPond will do by
> default now (and I doubt it did in 2.10.33, either).

I was curious too, so i wrote it down.
Indeed it looks like he used non-default layout (by default Lily uses
3 systems), but i won't call it non-optimal. In my opinion fitting
this music in two systems is perfectly reasonable here (and maybe even
better than spreading over 3 systems), and Lily should be able to
execute this flawlessly.
Unfortunately, measure 6 still looks bad. It's not as spectacular as
in his pdf, but i won't said its acceptable at all. It's a shame
especially because this problem is something in which Finale (2008)
excels (see attachment).
Still, even not counting this, he undoubtedly proved - with some very
simple music - that LilyPond 2.10.33 failed to produce acceptable
output :(

cheers,
Janek