Adds automatic numbering to footnotes. (issue4244064)

From: bordage . bertrand
Subject: Adds automatic numbering to footnotes. (issue4244064)
Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2011 17:38:01 +0000

Hi Mike,

Nice job, as usual !

However, I noticed some obvious problems. You probably already know
them.

Here, the padding :
\markup {
  \footnote b c
  \footnote e f
}

Here, the horizontal space between markup and number :
\markup {
  \footnote d e
  \footnote f g
}

Also : why are in-text numbers 0.75\mm higher than footnotes numbers ?

To conclude, this horizontal spacing bug (3 spacing bugs in 1) :
\markup {
  \footnote a a \footnote a a \footnote a a
  \footnote a a \footnote a a \footnote a a
  \footnote a a \footnote a a \footnote a a
  \footnote a a
}

Now, some suggestions :

Can you create another "footnote-numbering-function" that prints "1.
blablabla" instead of the raised numbers ? Maybe with an argument to
define whether there should be a space after the dot.
Optionally another that handles "[1] " notation.
And maybe a property to change font-series and font-shape for these
numbers (those that are in the notes). Indeed, some editors use bold "1.
" while others use italic raised numbers.

There is often a no-break thin space between a word and its note number
in french editions (Flammarion, Le livre de poche, etc).

It would be great if we could this input :
\markup \footnote a { bla bla bla bla bla bla [many others] bla bla bla
bla bla bla }
instead of :
\markup \footnote a \justify { bla bla bla bla bla bla [many others] bla
bla bla bla bla bla }

And it would be even greater if we could use :
\markup a \footnote { bla bla }
instead of :
\markup \footnote a { bla bla }

I know this last issue is very tricky... And it has a low priority.

And again, great job !

Regards,
Bertrand

http://codereview.appspot.com/4244064/