Re: Adds automatic numbering to footnotes. (issue4244064)

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Adds automatic numbering to footnotes. (issue4244064)
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2011 12:07:11 +0100

"address@hidden" <address@hidden> writes:

> 10 is the magic threshold for cataclysmic footnote failure.  There is
> currently no sure fire way to get LilyPond to anticipate a footnote's
> eventual width and to deal w/ it accordingly.
>
> I don't think this is a prohibitive gotchya, but it is super annoying.
> If anyone knows how LaTeX deals with this, I'd be interested in
> hearing about it!

LaTeX keeps a running counter which it advances whenever it executes
\footnote in the source text.  It consequently knows how much space a
footnote number takes at the point of time where it needs to typeset it.

It does not know in advance how much space the largest footnote number
in the document will take up, so the consistent left margin for footnote
numbers on all pages takes up a fixed size.  The magic threshold for
this size to be insufficient tends to be 1000 for standard document
classes if I remember correctly.  In that case the footnote numbers in
the footnote block start sticking further into the left margin than the
main text.